Some Really Interesting Facts About The Champ Justin Thomas
Justin Thomas is presently the number 2 Golfer across the globe. He was born on April 29, 1993 in Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.A. In 2017, he won his first major at the 99th PGA Championship at Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte, North Carolina, becoming just the fourth golfer before his 25th birthday to win a major and register five victories in one season. The other golfers who earned this feat were Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, and Jordan Spieth. At the season ending Tour Championship, he finished second, earning him enough points to win the coveted FedEx Cup and its $10 million bonus. He was named PGA Player of the Year for 2017. Here are some interesting and little known facts about Justin.
- He is a good friend of Jordan Speith, but they are highly competitive with each other. It is a fact that not many are aware about those professional rivals these two are great friends.
- The person who inspired Justin to win PGA was none other than Tiger woods. When Tiger won the 2000 valhalla Justin got mesmerized and since then he dreamt of only golf.
- Justin has a VHS tape of the tournament, which he says he has watched 50 times, motivating him to become the champion and walk with the Golf legends.
- Justin’s childhood was spent in Kentucky. When all other children were playing childish games, Justin was playing Golf with his father Mike who was the pro at a club in Harmony landing Louisville. Golf was in Justin’s blood as his grandfather Paul too was a club pro in Zaneville, Ohio. He was goof player and played in U.S open in 1962 at Oakmont.
- Justin would spend his summer time picking the range and taking shots while his father worked.
- Although Justin is not a member in Ryder cup team, he was able to celebrate his 2008 victory there all thanks to VIP access.
- Justin Thomas is golf’s hardest hitters he being 145 pounds delivers some of the adrenaline rushed hits on tour. Thomas ranked first in driving distance at Quail Hollow (328 yards off the tee) and ranks seventh on the PGA Tour this year (310 yards, 10 yards more than the tour average).
- He had a standout amongst the most amazing resumes in present times. As a green bean at Alabama, Thomas won the Haskins Award as the country’s best golfer in 2012. He turned star after his sophomore year, in which the Crimson Tide won the 2013 NCAA Championship and earned his PGA Tour card after a solid 2014 on the Web.com Tour.
- Thomas is roommates with fellow Alabama golfer and PGA Tour player Bud Cauley in Jupiter, Fla.
What Is In Justin Thomas’s Bag? A Sneak Peak
A champion is always a champion. The same can be said for Justin Thomas, but is the amour which help a knight to win the war. So let’s see what is in the champion’s bag.
Averaging 314 yards this year from the tee, Thomas used a Titleist 917D2 driver with 8.5 degrees of loft. The 24-year-old uses a full bag of Titleist, including a 718 AP2 4-iron, and 718 MB prototypes from five to nine-iron. Thomas had four wedges in play in Florida; two Vokey SM6 wedges, one pitching wedge, and a 60 degree. He then had Vokey SM5’s at 52 and 56 degrees. Driver: Titleist 917D2 9.5°, Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana BF 60TX shaft. Wood: Titleist 917F2 15°, Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+ 80TX shaft
5 Wood: Titleist 915Fd 18°, Fujikura Motore Speeder X-Flex shaft. Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 (4-iron), Titleist 718 MB prototype (5-9 iron), True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts. Wedges: Vokey SM5 52° and 56°, Vokey SM6 46° and 60°. Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X5. Ball: Titleist Pro V1x.