What Is A Trolling Motor?
Trolling motors are tools that include a controller, propeller, and electric motor located on the bow or stern of a boat. Trolling motors help piscators in fishing methodically and quietly, without alarming the fishes. Often installed at the bow or stern, trolling motors are powered by batteries and can be controlled by a controller or pedals (hands or feet). It offers enhanced steerability and provides a fun and pleasant experience.
With features that can do more than stealthily maneuver the boat, some trolling motors have features like GPS integration, spot-lock, and more, these features can be considered while choosing a suitable trolling motor. This article aims to explain the functions and features of a trolling motor and few reasons why to purchase one.
Types of Trolling Motors
For very long-time fishing has been known as a stealth game. Recently, trolling motors have provided a new dimension to various fishing activities. One of the most important things to be considered or taken into account while purchasing a trolling motor is boat weight.
Types of trolling motors which are available in the market are: bow mount motor (which can be attached at the front of your boat), and another one is called transom mount motor (which is made for the boat back.) A transom trolling motor can easily clamp onto the back of every boat and work perfectly with various craft styles.
A bow-mounted trolling motor on the other hand provides better control and superior maneuverability to your boat, allowing the fisher to fish with more ease and with more efficiency. While talking about Deep V-boat both bow mount and transom motor can not be used commonly, but now mount trolling motors offer more advanced features and precise control than transom motor. Deep-V boats usually vary in size, so it is very important to purchase a motor of the right size for better comfort and efficiency.
While purchasing your deep-v trolling motor one must remember all the major factors such as water power, boat usage, and engine horsepower. Along with these factors do not get to check on the weight and payload distribution as it might affect your bank balance and boat’s performance.
Choosing a trolling motor
Trolling motors look similar, but not all of them are created equally. Choosing the best motor for your boat includes several factors, emphasizing the size and type of your boat. The trolling motor needs to be a perfect match for your boat for you to perform your best and strike a perfect lure presentation. Read below to know how to choose a perfect trolling motor for your boat.
Trolling motors use thrust instead of horsepower, which ranges from 30lbs to 112lbs. If there is one thing you want to avoid, it is buying a motor with minimal thrust. Thrust determines how potent your motor is. Your boat’s weight and size ultimately determine the amount of thrust needed to achieve a satisfactory result on water. As a general rule, with every 100 pounds of fully-loaded boat weight, your boat would need at least 2 pounds of thrust.
volts determine how much battery power your trolling motor would require. With every 12 volts in your trolling system, you would require one battery. Voltage and thrust are correlated. A higher voltage will create more thrust, and thus longer battery life.
Smaller boats up to 15 feet would ideally require 12 – 24 volts (1 battery), slightly larger boats up to 19 feet would require 24 – 36 volts (2 batteries), and larger boats up to 20 feet would require 36 volts (3 batteries).
before purchasing a trolling motor, one must make sure that the shaft length is highly appropriate to the size of your fishing boat. The distance between the waterline and the transom is the same for most of the boats, but boat distance can differ greatly.
For calculating rough measures of boat shaft for boat motors, one must start measuring the total distance from the top to the waterline and add at least 18 inches to that measurement. While calculating the shaft length for transom motors is quite easy as the measures fall between 30” to 42”.
Depending on the cost, you can buy a trolling motor with highly useful fishing tools. Features like GPS help you find fishing spots, the Spot lock feature keeps the boat in position. At the same time, you enjoy fishing. Motors can also record and retrace the paths. You can have complete command on speed and steering – all these features can be used just with the help of a wireless remote.
Fishing area and conditions:
the area you usually conduct your fishing activity also plays a very important role in choosing a trolling motor for your boat. Whether you fish in saltwater or freshwater? Or do you fish in small ponds or large bodies of water?
If you typically fish in large water bodies with fast water currents, you must purchase a motor that can easily exit recommended thrust level. Whereas in small ponds with slow water currents, you must purchase a trolling motor with the least thrust level.
Reasons to buy a trolling motor
Trolling motor offers enhanced steerability and a pleasant fishing experience. With features that can do more than stealthily maneuver the boat, some trolling motors have features like GPS integration, spot-lock, and more, these features can be considered when choosing a trolling motor. Listed below are few reasons why one should purchase a trolling motor.
- Trolling motors provide enhanced fishability and maneuverability throughout the journey.
- They are the perfect boat tool for maneuvering and moving without making a loud outboard engine noise. Often attached at the transom or bow.
- Some of the trolling motors even have GPS installed in them, which helps in locking the coordinate and moving the boat automatically to the spot. Current, wind, etc. are easily compensated by this feature and one does not have to check on the boat or the location now and then.
- Trolling motors also increases the fishing possibilities for fishermen. Many fishes like blackfish, sea bass, scup, and many other kinds of fishes love to stay in a specific area and it becomes tricky for fishermen. One needs smooth maneuverability and precise location for catching such kinds of fishes and trolling motor is a perfect tool for this task.
- Trolling motors are very helpful for the environment as did not involve any hazardous spills and make no loud noises whatsoever. By attaching this tool to your boat, you are making your boat distraction-free for local flora, fauna, and yourself.
- Trolling motors are very easy to install and detach. There are no special skills or time is required to install this tool on your boat. Even beginners can easily attach trolling motors with help of detailed instruction and tutorials. Different trolling motors have a different detailed manual as every brand might have different installing techniques.
- Trolling motor can easily conquer both deep and shallow glasses of water. Many shallow water spots are highly preferable by many fishermen, but it is a very difficult task to stay quiet in them. Loud boats can’t be used for stealth fishing, so by installing a trolling motor on your boats you can even participate in stealth fishing.
- Trolling motors have multiple controlling features such as Hands and Feet control, Co-pilot control, GPS control, Electronic self-direction control, and Autopilot control.
Trolling motors have surely added a new aspect to fishing. Perfecting boat control, fishing in various exclusive areas, and maintaining a delightful approach will ensure an added enjoyment and more fishes for dinner.